Skip Navigation

History

Located at the intersection
of travel and commerce.

1915

San Diego-based stagecoach company, Limited Imperial Valley Stage Line, changes its name to the Pickwick Stage Lines and moves its station to the lobby of the old Pickwick Theater on the east side of Fourth Street, north of Broadway.

1927

Another Pickwick Hotel opens its doors in San Diego at First and Broadway in May. The first hotel in San Diego to be built with "en suite" bathrooms, its marketing slogan was "A Room and a Bath for Two and a Half."

Early1930s

Under the Pickwick ownership, the station uses a variety of slogans to promoto their identity. Among those KGB uses during this time are "The Voice of Sunny San Diego." Pickwick Broadcasting Corporation later formed a three-station chain including KNRC in Los Angeles and KTAB in San Francisco.

1950

Downtown is changing and the bus operation expands to occupy both ground floor corners of The Pickwick Hotel. Also at this time, the San Diego City Council requires that decorative architectural elements be removed from all buildings to prevent potential injury and casualty during an earthquake.